Thursday, September 20, 2012

diy thursday: natural daily shower cleaner




I have been using a non-natural store bought daily shower cleaner that I use everyday in between more thorough shower/tub cleaning.  This helps cut down the soap scum and prevent mold and mildew. I have been searching online for a natural homemade daily shower cleaner, but have had a hard time finding what I was looking for. In the end I decided to make one from scratch using the knowledge I have about ingredients I use all the time. A go-to natural low budget all purpose cleaner I have used through the years is a mixture of white distilled vinegar and water. So I thought I would use that as a base given that vinegar among other things cuts through soap scum.  Since the purpose for making the daily shower cleaner was not only to cut soap scum, but also to eliminate mold and mildew growth, I decided to add tea tree essential oil to the mixture.  Tea tree oil is known to be a powerful fungicide which in turn fights mold and mildew.  Tea tree oil also makes the spray smell better (unless you love the smell of vinegar my husband).

 
Ingredients:

1/3 cup white distilled vinegar (or vodka if you are afraid the vinegar will eat into the shower/tub caulk)
3 cups lukewarm water
few drops of tea tree oil 
32 oz spray bottle





Directions:

Using a funnel add all the ingredients and then shake the bottle to make sure it is all mixed together. 
Spray the daily shower spray in your shower daily after showering. 

As you can tell this is a super easy, natural, and cheap daily shower cleaner.